Saturday, May 28, 2005

Tree of the Reading Rock


Another old picture. This is a gnarly little berry tree in Reading Rock Park, a little walking park near the centre of Calgary. It's been slowly dying over the years due to the dry conditions, prompting them to install irrigation. Thanks to man-made nature, the grass here is green, while everywhere else, people are drowning in a sea of brown.

I took this picture for a friend of mine who wanted to see how good of a picture I could get of said tree. Needless to say, I think I impressed her (the beauty of nature is ignored until it's captured forever). Right now, this tree is in full blossom, and is a literal bee magnet. It hardly ever gets any leaves, just flowers.

I apologize for the lense flare, but this was a lose-lose picture with surprising results. Had I taken the picture from the other side, I would have caught the reflections off of the glass buildings downtown, getting the same effect. Bright sunny days are the bane of photography in the downtown area.

No comments: