Thursday, May 19, 2005

A flash of recognition.

I saw an infant at work today, sitting in one of the carts. The kid wouldn't stop crying, no matter how hard the parents tried. They picked the poor kid up, sang, hugged, and even did that parental thing where they sniff the kid's behind to check the storage. Nothing. The kid was just having a really bad day. Staff members were bringing all kinds of doodads to try and calm the kid down. In the end it was fruitless, so like all "good" parents, these two decided to just ignore the noise, and go shopping. First stop, my table.

They turned the cart just so that the kid could turn his head just far enough to see me. I wasn't paying much attention (trying to ignore the noise), but looked up, and the moment our eyes locked, the kid quieted down. I swore it was a look of recognition, and perhaps interest. Creepy. Anyway, the parents had their look at the cameras. The kid's quiet the whole time. They decide they've seen enough and move on. The moment the kid can't see me anymore, the noise begins again.

Even more creepy.

My explanation for this resides in what my real name meant in historical times.

"God's Peace."

6 comments:

apples said...

"God's Peace"

- Godfried
- Godfrey
- Gofraidh
- Gottfrid
- Gottfried
- Goffredo
- Giotto
- Jeffrey

Am I getting close?

Geoff said...

The last one is the American spelling of it. :)

Very close, how long did it take you to come up with all of those?

apples said...

Is it Jeffrey then or is there a Canadian spelling? The G-version?

I didn't come up with any of them... I just googled the meaning and made a list. Then I spent an hour finding out the meaning of other names :)

My names mean 'gracious' and 'pearl'. I'm a gracious pearl, who would have thought?

Geoff said...

Yes, there is a G-version.

Geoffrey to be exact, popular in Canada and Britain. It's spelling in the United States was changed to better suit pronunciation.

It shows. Common mispronunciations of my name: Jee-off, Gee-off, Geff, etc.

apples said...

I can't imagine how you'd pronounce either of those.

How do you pronounce your name?
Like Jeffrey?

Geoff said...

In North America, Jeffrey and Geoffrey sound exactly the same. With British accent though, Geoffrey has a more pronounced 'o' sound, so it sort of sounds like "G-eo-ffrey."