Tuesday, May 03, 2005

It's not supposed to be like this

Summer holidays aren't supposed to be like this.

I've spent nearly a week and a half at home, believe or not, asleep. Something about this illness has sapped my energy, and I find it very easy to sleep from 12 to 12 nearly every day. I tried waking up earlier today, by about two hours. I felt like I was lifting bricks, only the flats were my feet, and the bricks were my legs. Not cool.

Things have finally warmed up outside, but I'm hesitant to go outside. I don't go "for walks" that often anymore. I hate casual biking now, because the Bow River pathway is nothing but hills and fucking headwind in all directions. I like biking per se, but when it gets to the point that you get on the damn thing, and you're going backwards, there's really no point to the exercise. My camera, sadly, has been gaining dust. I made an excursion out to Reading Rock, a couple weeks ago, before I fell sick, and I haven't gone out since. I feel like society would judge me purvy if I went out alone and started snapping pictures (I've been hassled before. Guy alone + camera must = creeper).

On top of that, my summer employment hasn't called back in. I don't know whether this is a blessing, or a curse, as I am now unemployed, looking for work, skilled, and experienced. I'll be lecturing in my old high school over the next week or two, so that will pass the time, but I want money, too.

Now, to counteract this little rant I've made, along with the general negative vibes I tend to throw out, here's a little humor.

Jennifer Lopez is going to run for President.

Woe be to us, the end of the world is at hand.

2 comments:

D. said...

What exactly do you lecture about, if you don't mind me asking?

Also I can do the exact same, sleep wise. I guess working nights is my excuse, but I can understand just being so tired in everyway that sleep is the only option.

Sometimes it feels like a waste of a day and whatnot, but really, if your body seems to need it..well, let it happen.

Geoff said...

My old teacher wants me to come in and lecture on things like Terrorism, the New Media, politics, etc. Basically, I'm more up to date on that kind of stuff compared to the school's textbooks (which only go up to 1989, before the USSR formally dissolved) and I tend to be a bit more unbiased when it comes to discussing things like terrorism, Israel, etc.

I'm not exactly qualified to speak in front of a class, but my near continuous exposure to media and information at least makes it worthwhile. The teacher I'm doing this for is also a self-proclaimed feminist, and is very aware that her views on certain things are heavily biased. When discussing things like Israel, Palestine, and Iraq to impressionable young people, strong biases are not a good thing.