Thursday, May 19, 2005

Home is not where I've been

Have to work again today, which means another day without any pictures. Sorry everyone. I thought instead, I would rant about what I'm going to do after I'm done my schooling here in Calgary.

Provided I have enough money, I'm leaving. At least for a time. A lot of people wonder why I would leave Canada to journey elsewhere, when our nation is so great. I believe Matt Good summed it up best when he said "European countries have more culture in a sqaure inch than Canada has across it's entire landscape." Or something to that effect, don't take it verbatim. In reality, I've grown quite sick of Canada's culture of shopping malls, retarded drivers, and in general, the North American pursuit of everything in gross excess. It's disgusting. And for me, it's not home.

I'm wanting to travel a bit of the world, once I'm done here, so I can find, not just a home, but my home. There really isn't a whole lot to offer here for me in Canada. I don't fit in to the vice, and I'm sure everyone would be happy to see me go, so they can enjoy their drinking and smoking and not have an embodiment of conscience.

I don't know where I would go. Apples suggested Bergen, which is a very possible stop. I'm also tempted to visit my ancestral homelands in England, and on the border between Germany and Poland.

I was tempted to visit Australia, but I don't have enough money to make it there, explore, and then come back. And I don't do well with animals that are poisonous.

Well, I have to prepare for work. More on this when I get home tonight.

2 comments:

apples said...

You seem to feel about Canada exactly the same way I feel about Norway. It's in my heart but it's just not in my soul. My town is home but it's not my home. Not anymore.

I had ancestors from the old Bohemia, now the Czech Republic. It's a long but fascinating story, and as it happened the students at the high school I attended always went to Prague their senior year. Beautiful city, you should visit. And it was kinda special to see the area, even though I'm probably only 1% 'Bohemian'.

"I was tempted to visit Australia, but I don't have enough money to make it there, explore, and then come back."

Why go back?

Geoff said...

What if I don't like it as much as I think I might? It's hard enough finding a job in Canada, and I'm sure the Conservative feelings towards immigrants is universal, regardless as where I come from.