Monday, August 29, 2005

We're ruthless and We're cunning

First day of school today, and the day played out much as I thought it would. I think I'll live, despite being a bit underprepared for the workload, and being left out of the loop for the college newspaper. Chalk that one up to e-mail error, so no points scored or lost. I'm still a news editor, which was a relief, and I have two assignments, which I will be pouncing on tommorrow.

It's good practice, really. Anyone who would like to try their hand at journalism, I would highly recommend it. It's a lot of fun, and it's actually a job where you can see both the cause and the effect happening at once.

Just don't try to compete with me.

It must have been genius, whoever thought that making journalism a competetive industry would be a good idea. It simultaneously ensures that free and new ideas will always be available, but at the same time, prevents any chance of there being a collaborative effort in finding the truth in incidents that we deem as news. There will always be bias, and there will always be opinions. And that tends to be what sells now, instead of raw news.

1 comment:

Geoff said...

This is my second of two years. I don't get to "make" my own newspaper. I get to write articles and participate in real newspapers. I take pictures too (obviously), although I'm not a "Photojournalist."

I'll also be contributing to Excursion when it opens.