Wednesday, July 13, 2005

No way but the Highway

I got back from a two-day stint out at Strathmore today. My buddy J is summer reading co-ordinator out at the Strathmore municipal library, so I thought I would lend him a hand in the launch of this year's program. I did signs, banners, photos, etc. Today was weird. He had me in there watching over the kids as they made crafts, and did the other strange things that under-10's do, such as picking scabs, quoting movies, and promptly and inexplicably soiling themselves. I don't know, but back in my day, you knew by at most age 5, how your innards worked and when and where to obey the call of nature. If you didn't, the parental units were perfectly liable to beat it into you until you got it right.

So anyway, lots of driving involved today, which brings me to the gist of this post. Driving on highways at 140 km/h on a hot and sunny day with the windows down and the sunroof open is truly a gift from God. Promptly running into an intense hailstorm en route to home, however, is not. I like having an electric sunroof, but there are times when it just doesn't close fast enough. Also, somebody needs to invent steering-wheel coolers. I burnt my hands today coming home, as my car had been sitting in a library parking lot for the better part of 10 hours under the blistering sun, and my air conditioning, as good as it is, doesn't do much for hot steering, or burnt skin.

Tommorrow marks the end of my two-day break, and my return to paying work at the Warehouse. I don't know whether to be relieved or exhausted.

2 comments:

Geoff said...

See, therein lies the tradeoff. I have a sunroof, but not a CD player. I just have the 'ole FM stereo. See D's rant about radio stations, and know that I second his motion about radio sucking.

Yeah, small thorn in my otherwise awesome drive.

apples said...

get one of these beauties and you'll never burn your hands again