Friday, July 29, 2005

Cut

I have to write this down before I forget it as I sleep.

Self Harm

Every stroke of the pen across the paper
Is a scar upon my soul.
Every word I've said,
is a knife to cut myself.

I bleed things richer and deeper,
than blood and tears.
Black and blue and green and dark,
self-harm of all colours and shapes.

I promised I would not harm this body,
this awkward little vessel,
So instead I cut the tissue,
that binds my very soul.

But instead of pain and relief,
I found something else.
In the midst of my darkest times,
I found the light in the mist.


Please, if you or someone you know is harming themselves, by means physical or metaphysical, intervene the best you can. Get a doctor involved if need be, but most of all, be a pillar, a column of support for your friends and family. Even with your own flaws and worries, a small action can make the difference between healing and breaking.

No comments: