Sunday, October 30, 2005

Born to this Life

So, where do you see yourself in 5, 10, 20 years?

It seems to be the hot question for educators and employers. Where do you see yourself? What do you want to do with your life? What are your goals?

Well, would it hurt your feelings if I said I thought it was conceited to believe I would live that long?
Living is something that's so easy to take for granted. We just assume that we'll be healthy forever, and nothing bad ever happens. I prefer not to wait until tommorrow, if you don't mind. Because there might not be a tommorrow. There might not even be a today.

I don't like sitting around anymore. I've had a lot of wasted days, where I just sit around and do nothing, trying to figure out new ways to do nothing. I still like sleeping. If I'm sleeping, I'm happy. But when I'm awake, I always feel like I should be doing something, or something should be happening as a result of my previous work. I feel like I'm riding the edge of the wave of my life, and I should try to get everything done while I still have the opportunity to do so.

I know, I should have a lot of time left. But when I think about it, there's a lot of stuff that I should have, but don't. So, I'm not taking my time for granted.

Now, I'm sure my profs would have something to tell me right now about "taking opportunities," and getting assignments done, and do a respectable degree of quality. I'm innocent I tell ya!

2 comments:

Genna said...

I totally can see your point. Last year in Developmental Psych we had to make a timeline of our lives: from birth to death. Every one of us gave events in our lives leading to a very fufilled path with a end very similar: we would die old, in our sleep. But reality is very different than that. We go through the motions daily, and often forget to live and we forget that our bodies are aging and we move closer to death with each breath we take in. How many people are going to put off living until it is too late? Life is today.

Geoff said...

Indeed. Life as a routine is no life at all. It's a waste, and a tragic one at that. I can draw more than a few connections between people's pursuit of money as happiness, and the overall futility of their lives. A routine is a great way to make money, but what happiness is there in a routine? Does seeing all those zeroes in the bank account suddenly make it all worthwhile?

I have money in the bank, and I'm beginning to believe that it's inversely proportional to my happiness. Although the more I give out in one way or another, the more seems to come back in my direction. Karma, perhaps?

What matters is that I've set a path, and I'm walking it, however it twists and turns, I cannot tell. I haven't asked for happiness, as I think that when it does come to me, it's deserved rather than expected. At this point in my life, I'm daydreaming, and I'm putting my feet where it feels the most right for them to be.