Sunday, October 09, 2005

Let me show you Terror

I watched The Amityville Horror this weekend. The new one, not the 1979 one. It was pretty disturbing, but I wouldn't exactly call it scary. A friend of mine, typical of most horror-movie buffs, posed the question of what would any of us do, if we were put in the position of the actors in the film (and it became a thing of real life). I'm still kind of sitting on the fence regarding the supernatural, but if I had to go face to face with a malevolent spirit, I'd show him a thing or two about terror.

The mist, blood, and deep voices of the damned spirits are but a hollow comparison to what us, the living terrors of this world have accomplished. Come, let me show you the terror that we have wrought.

When all hope is lost in the face of terror, only bravery, and perhaps a greater terror can hope to prevail.

I guess this is why I'm not afraid of horror movies. Sure, there's blood and gore, and brutal death, and the decay of the human spirit... but really, it's almost insignificant compared to the atrocities of war. And the sad thing is, the atrocities aren't a movie.

3 comments:

D. said...

Yeah, but i'd argue that horror films shouldn't even be compared to that of the horror in WWII...that just seems wrong.

Films such as these are entertainment. Nothing more.

Trevor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Trevor said...

edit - stupid tab button what i was trying to say....

People just like to be scared, and with a movie you get the rush in a relativley safe way as opposed to getting wasted in a war. Still comparing the two is a giant leap.