Monday, March 20, 2006

A World Away

Yesterday, I discussed with Stephanie certain dreams we've had. I seem to have a propensity for the occassional polymorph dream, where I take on the shape of something other than a human.

I always recall one in particular, one where I was aloft in the form of a gigantic bird. I believe it was probably very similar to a Roc, a fantastical creature said to be scores of yards in wingspan, and big enough to blot out the sun when it was in flight. I enjoyed this dream, just because of how visceral it was. It wasn't like I was a human in a bird form, I felt as if I really was a bird. I could feel wings instead of hands and arms, and I could feel my feathers ruffling.

The feathers were jet black, with a few large red ones on the tip of each wing. I remember using the red feathers as markers, I'd point my wingtip toward something and do a big carousel turn around it to change direction without flapping my wings. I'd fly mostly over the sea. The whole thing reminded me of the British isles. Tossing sea below, with rocky little islands surrounding a mist-veiled mainland. Every gust of wind would cause the sea to heave, and my feathers to ruffle a bit, sending a shiver down my back.

I recall, vaguely, landing on one of the small islands. There were three, maybe four houses on it. Counting in dreams is difficult, because it comes from logic in the left side of the brain, whereas dreams are largely controlled by the right side. Anyway, I landed on this little island, and out of these houses came running tens of little kids, probably to come see the big feathery behemoth that's landed on their little island.

They weren't afraid at all. They'd come right up and hug my scaly feet (you ever had scaly feet? It's the weirdest sensation ever), their mothers looking on from their doorways.

I was there for a short time, and then I took off again, catching the last thermals before the sun went down. It was a bit of a wild ride, and then I decided I should turn in. I glided gracefully towards the mist-covered mainland.

The last thing I recall before I woke up, was diving in for a landing, seeing some kind of mob with guns, and bright flash, and then the sensation of falling out of control.

I woke up in a cold sweat, but I remembered the whole thing. I still remember the whole thing. Anybody else had an experience like this, or am I getting on D's boat of Strange and Unexplained phenomena had Whilst Sleeping?

That's not the only one either... but most of the other one's were a bit less pleasant than that one.

Speaking of wild animal dreams, allegedly Fair's been a deer, and Steph's been a man.

No comments: