Thursday, March 23, 2006

So Long Mrs. Smith

So, I was at the Matthew Good acoustic performance last night. I apologize for not being prompt in this entry, but a combination of my own tiredness and the fact that, by the will of blogger, I could not post anything, made it an impossibility.

I must say, that after all the concerts and shows I've been to, this one had been one of the best. There's nothing like walking away from a show having gained something, and not having lost your hearing to pay for it.

Matt played through a lot of his favorites, and some of his more obscure songs. He played Fated, kinda. I'm pretty sure he didn't remember how to play it, but that's alright, because it was still a good time. I definitely hope he gets out to do this again sometime.

Before Matt even took the stage, his special guest, Melissa McClelland, got the crowd going with some of her own songs. I didn't think it before, but I agree with Trevor now. Girl guitarists are hot. And I mean in a very sophisticated kind of way.

Of course, the show was No Minors, between songs, Matt would sip his pint of beer, and speak with the crowd about books he had read (How to Survive a Disaster Handbook, Anne Coulter's latest stuff, etc.), and talk about the history behind each of his songs... often with a good measure of profanity for flavour.

It's still Matthew Good, which, regardless of how acoustic, country, or mellow it gets, will still be great music, and a great personality making that music.

Now, for the A&E All-Request Hour...

"If you're going to go... go out on an ATV."

-
Matthew Good, recalling his Audio of Being years.

3 comments:

revidescent said...

so very jealous. one day i hope to see him perform. glad you had a good time. :)

Trevor said...

I saw him last night and he improved quite a bit on “fated” judging by your comments, it was perfect. It was pretty much the highlight of my evening. Where did he play in Calgary? I am too lazy to check his site.

Geoff said...

Mac Hall, at the U of C. He always goes there. Can't say I blame him. The campus bar here at SAIT is a hole (don't tell anyone, the SU will probably want my ass on a platter for stating the obvious).