Sunday, January 01, 2006

Peaceable Means

We're at a time when warfare has once again taken the forefront as the most effective foreign policy tool. On the basis of interpersonal contact, it makes me wonder if violence has once again taken the fore as the most effective means of communication.

Taking a look at my home city, gang violence is on the rise, and we had a record year for gun related deaths and gang crime. Violence in schools, although it is reportedly on the decline, I have witnessed it on the rise. Probably related to the decline of literacy in young people. They're no longer able to communicate with each other effectively, so they just beat the snot out of each other.

It makes me wonder for the future of peace on this planet. When negotations don't go as planned, will two countries go to war? Has everyone forgotten how terrible a nuclear bomb is (but remember, it will always love you!)? Have we forgotten how to sit and discuss things like rational human beings?

Yes, of course, that would assume that we were rational human beings in the first place.

The nobility... the humanity, of humanity, seems to have leeched. I can't say from where, but I've felt it. I've felt it in me as well. I get frustrated when I'm trying to speak as basic as possible to my peers, and it's still incomprehensible. Sometimes I want to smash things. What do I do? Nothing.

Perhaps it's foresight that's prevented a hundred wars, but I can see how one blow can set of a chain reaction that leads to a thousand deaths, and ultimately, a tidal current back against me. Just calm down. Relax.

Think of all the things that would warrant your violent reaction. Good. Now imagine how many times in your life they've actually happened.

I worry, sometimes. I worry that not enough people worry about this kind of stuff.

No comments: