Monday, January 30, 2006

Note to self: Kill Cartoonists, and their Nations

I was just reading this, and I thought that any comment I had wouldn't be fitting for my news blog, so here it is.

A satirical comic was published in a Danish newspaper, and was simultaneously run in a Norwegian newspaper. Now, not everyone even reads a newspaper, but I must say, the reaction from the Middle East was... overzealous?

Well, threatening to attack any Norwegian or Dane, because of a fucking newspaper comic, no matter how blasphemous it is... there's no word in English for this. There have been flag burnings and merchandise boycotts. Okay... let's see. Was there any instance of these nations actually going out of their way to demean Muslims? No, not really. So now, because of a newspaper comic, we have Hamas telling other muslims nations to take "deterrent steps against idiotic Danish behaviour."

"We call on Muslim nations to boycott all Danish products because the Danish people supported the hateful racism under the pretext of freedom of expression," said Hamas. Hateful racism... coming from Hamas. Okay, I'm sure the Israeli's would have something to say about that, albeit they aren't exactly clean books themselves. Once again, it's a newspaper comic. Hateful racism? Grow up and get real.

Oh, I'm sorry sir. I wasn't aware you were conditioned without a sense of humour or tolerance. I'm sorry you couldn't approach something that offended you without resorting to hatemongering and assault. I'm sorry that you should even bother to read newspapers from Scandinavia. You think those are bad? You should see what goes to press in the States, in Canada, and in Britain.

No comments: