Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Freak

It's been a weird week so far. A mix of good and bad. Well, mostly bad, but I'm sure you've all had your daily dose of cynicism and vile, so I'll spare you that for now. Needless to say, I'll be happy when Friday finally arrives. I've been meaning to get out and take some pictures for posting. Last night was a spectacular harvest moon, but I only saw it on my way home, and I just collapsed when I got there, so... my apologies. I've hardly had enough time to eat, let alone pack up my camera gear and actually take pictures.

Some friends of mine are planning on going to Fernie to ski/snowboard on Valentines Day. Naturally, they seek to compound my discomfort by asking me to come along. There are two couples going on this trip. On Valentines Day. I'll leave you clever ones to do the math on that.

On top of that, they want me to rent a snowboard. The prospect of 140 pounds of skin and bone hurtling down a ski hill is terrifying enough. The thought of doing it with my feet bolted onto a shiny flat rocket only compounds my terror to the point that I might actually consider doing it. Just to see what it's like.

The amp cable for my guitar has started coming apart. I got it for free. You always get what you pay for. Remember that. Cherish it. Nurture it, and it will bloom into a wonderful garden of bittersweet remembrance when those cheap toys you got at McDonalds finally hit the pits and you have to get new ones.

A little note on judging people. When you judge someone, it's complete. There's no halfway, and everything they do will suddenly conform or confirm to your judgement. If you judge someone as shallow, everything they do will appear shallow to you. If you judge someone as wise, everything they do will seem wise to you. If you judge someone as emotional, everything they do will seem emotionally charged to you.

Just a thought. Don't judge someone and then point out how right you are. It's pompous, and it makes me hate you.

1 comment:

apples said...

A little note on judging people. When you judge someone, it's complete. There's no halfway, and everything they do will suddenly conform or confirm to your judgement. If you judge someone as shallow, everything they do will appear shallow to you. If you judge someone as wise, everything they do will seem wise to you. If you judge someone as emotional, everything they do will seem emotionally charged to you.


Self-serving bias. Add to that a little of the fundamental attribution error and voila - you've got a person who acts exactly as you expected them to.