Sunday, June 19, 2005

The Waters are Rising


Even more flooding. This slow moving lake was once a flat stretch of dog park. It's now part of the fringe flow of the river. The flooding was so powerful that the river itself has changed its course. Parts of Calgary's highway system are now new riverbeds, while the old riverbeds are now still pools of water. This is likely to become a new part of the river, or perhaps a new lake, after the water goes down. Mosquitoes were already forecast to be bad this year. I've got my can of Muskol right here, and I'm ready. I'm hoping the evacuees will get to go home tommorrow, to see the damage this flood has done. It might be heartbreaking, but it's better than the anxiety of not knowing.

In other news, the Higgins bridge by my house (the picture below with the bridge and the river), has washed out, so I won't be able to venture to the other side on foot.

No comments: