Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Stuck in the Rain

The sky opened up on me today, dark clouds, darker clouds, and lots and lots of rain. Didn't get a chance to take any pictures, I was back to work after a short, two-day break. My heels feel flat, but I guess that's the feeling of a hard day's work. Cameras were on sale today, so my little plastic table was a madhouse of questions and claim-slips. I think one or two of my little cameras sprouted legs and walked away. I'm hoping loss-prevention picked them up before they found their way to a door with a would-be illicit owner.

Got home, shucked my work duds, and came to peek at my online world. Not much stirs, and the bandwidth is quiet. So I sat and listened to the rain. It got really dark outside; black, like a corporate heart. No thunder, no lightning... just ominous. I almost wish something would happen around these parts, but it almost seems that people want things to remain conveniently in lingo, so things go ne'er one way, nor the other. Able to swing either way at a whim or panic.

Nobody really cares, things hang over the balance on the shoulders of people who hang over the balance on other people's shoulders. Everyone goes through the motions, they all say the words, they all smile and nod. Sure, it's sunny, when the very abyss itself is pouring rain on you from above. Everything's fine and peachy in this little one-person world, surrounded by a bunch of insolent other one-person worlds. Don't look at the clouds, and somehow you won't get wet.

People, they make the circle. They start at Ignorance, work their way to Understanding, and then roll over to Apathy. It's a long journey where the beginning and the end mean the same. I'm stuck in the rain.

I'm stuck understanding.

No comments: