Saturday, February 18, 2006

Rogue Leader

Beginning to see a pattern in the call signs?

So anyway, on our first full day of hitting the hill, one of the guys decided he would fix us up a proper breakfast before we headed out. A hearty breakfast always helps before subjecting the body to stresses unknown to normal men and women.



Ahh... pancakes and a Sleeman.

So, before heading to the hill, I decided it would probably be a good idea to show you what the exterior of the cabin looks like. Not that any of us were ever outside for more than a soak in the jacuzzi.



How can you tell that it's Canadian?

The hill at Fernie is awesome. There's lots of runs to choose from, and there was actually snow on the hill, rather than just ground up ice. Well, I thought it would be awesome anyway. When we actually started walking toward it, I felt my enthusiasm - and my stomach - drop to around my ankles.



That big white heap in the background is the top of ski mountain. I never went up more than a third of the way, because I'm afraid of heights. It was still a good500 m descent from the green hill... so I think I did alright.

On the way home... well, several things happened. We stopped for a small bite in Longview, home of the best beef jerky in Canada. While there, I took a look back the way we had come, and saw something along the lines of this:



The rest of the trip went rather well. Up until we hit Calgary. I was conned into driving a friend up to North Calgary, and whilst accelerating from a set of lights, my car suddenly decided that it would only have first gear.

Fun and games resulted. Actually, no, not quite. My other friends looped back around, picked up their cohort and his gear, and left me stranded in a 7-11 parking lot for an hour before my dad showed up to help me determine the ills of my vehicle.

In the end, I ended up driving across the city in a car with only two gears. First gear, and second gear over-ride, which meant my top speed was about 60 kph. Scary stuff.

But I'm home now. Safe, and for the most part, sound.

I swear though. Next time I go... I'm either getting my own floor in the cabin, or I'm not going single.

We'll see.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Pancakes and beer..breakfast of champions college boy style.




Okay, you've got me. How can you tell it's Canadian?

Geoff said...

The snow, Stephanie. The snow. Notice how close it is to the roof?

Stephanie said...

Yes, I noticed, but as I told you yesterday I didn't want to be all, "Uh..drr..the snow..bcuz u guys r eskimos up therre."


We get crazy ass snow in our mountains too!