Sunday, February 05, 2006

Hunted by a Freak

The tale of how a few small animals, living in their humble pet store were suddenly finding themselves plummeting toward certain death.

Mogwai: Hunted by a Freak

This isn't a music video for those who are easily disturbed. If the thought of cute little animals getting tossed off a roof disturbs you on a deep level, I suggest you don't watch this clip.

I was, at first appalled that somebody would make a music vid like this... but upon consulting the old news archives, tossing small animals off of roofs is something that has happened in the past. Somebody pondering suicide would buy a handfull of small animals, and then toss them off a roof, just to see what it would look like when they did it.

On top of that... some of the critters shown in the vid could be animalistic paralells to us humans. A bird with its wings tied. A black cat. A turtle that doesn't want to come out of its shell.

Something to think about at least...

2 comments:

apples said...

I wasn't appalled as much as... I'm not quite sure, to me this video just showed the pointlessness in doing what that man was doing. We pick on those that are weaker, animals, people.. He just killed them. Just because. I suck at understanding what anything at all means (couldn't take a hint to save my life) so I don't know what the people making this want it to mean but it seems, to me, they were showing us... pointlessness.

Does that sound stupid?


Serial killers often start torturing and killing animals, then arsony before 'graduating' to actually killing people. Whatever it is, wherever it starts, hurting an animal is never a good sign of a person's mental state...

Geoff said...

It doesn't sound stupid at all.

I guess the idea behind the video was to take something that was outwardly apalling, and lace it with ideas and concepts.

A thought provoking piece. I remember reading things like this in High School. A story about a kid who used to stick needles through his arm comes to mind. It made him "dangerous."