Saturday, July 01, 2006

Anniversary

It's Canada Day. Happy Canada Day, everyone. Enjoy the birthday of the red, white, and red.

Most of you will be out camping as I write this, so you probably won't read it until monday. I've got a few reasons to celebrate this day, but at the same time, I've got a few reasons to rue it. I was thinking I'd probably end up spending it alone, in quiet contemplation. Looks like I'll be right, for a change.

It's been a strange year. Not necessarily a bad one, but one can't trek from youth to maturity, and not look back and feel a pang of remorse. I'll admit it. I've missed a lot. I've put my priorities in the wrong places for too many years, and missing tiny experiences leads to bigger and bigger holes, until one day, you wake up and wonder why you didn't do things another way.

It's not possible to go back in time and fix mistakes. I've accepted that. I've also accepted that most people don't forgive, and failure is intolerable. Harsh lessons, but it's easier to ply with sincerity when you know you might not get any in return.

Anyway, I'm done sobbing on the internet now. Raise a toast with me, Happy Canada Day!

Ooo... Gin and Ginger, how I love you so.

3 comments:

Jennifer Turek said...

Cheers! Happy Canada Day!

Trevor said...

Cheers aswell. Did you get out to see the fireworks?

Geoff said...

No, it was overcast and raining for most of the day.

I heard them going off though, and naturally, the fumes wafted over my house after they were done.