Saturday, July 22, 2006

Dust Off

My brain seems to be back to normal now. Whatever freak illness I contracted seems to have left with all the fury and zeal that it came with, leaving me weary but otherwise alright. However, in my newgound lucidity, a new thought strikes me...

I don't want to spend my whole summer job hunting. If July ends before anyone says anything, I'm ready to say fuck it, I'm outta here.

Question is, where will I go? North? South? East? I don't want to take a plane, and I'm tempted to drive (the weather these days is ideal for driving), and I want to do some kind of camping and/or fishing. Neither one I'm particularly adept at. I've never caught a fish, although I've tried plenty of times, and inspired by the tales of Dan, Trevor, and Ryan, I want to try again. Maybe the four of us can make a fishing trip sometime before 'ole bandersnatch departs for the greater white north. I just have to find out where my fishing rod is at, and then I can pack up and goooo.

Just a thought.

Oh, and just for my safety, you guys aren't religious fly fishers, are ya? The last few I bumped into threatened to kill me at the sight of my lure rod. Said it was a travesty... but to me, catching a fish is catching a fish. Whether it be with hand-wound flies, or with sticks of dynamite.

4 comments:

D. said...

I think I tried fly fishing once, and it was a joke. I didn't really like it.

I'll stick to my lure, that way you can cast it out there like a mother fucker, too, and then enjoying bringing it in.

Trevor said...

"I'll stick to my lure, that way you can cast it out there like a mother fucker, too, and then enjoying bringing it in."

hahahah its true! I don’t know how he does it but D can cast halfway across the lake. I can come close using one of those idiot proof closed reels, insane I tell you.

Fly-fishing I tried once and didn’t like it, lure's are better, I just wish I had boat the shores are constricting as hell.

Lakes around here a kind of shite though, unless you drive a couple hours either direction, Jackfish lake was cool until the residents turned it into nazi camp and make you pay to use everything atleast that’s how it was last time I tried to fish there.

Any good fishing spots in the Calgary area?

D. said...

You only have to pay at jackfish lake if you are there anywhere after 4:30 or something like that.

But I think it would suck without a boat. unless you want to cast off from some bust boat launch, which usually sucks.

East pit is good for shore fishing because it's so small. ASide from that we should find a good river or stream of some sort.

Geoff said...

There's a bunch of little rivers and shit around here that are good for fishing. I just haven't used any of them in a while. East is crap, because it gets so dry, all the fish are tiny and there aren't a lot of 'em. So... I'm thinking of looking a little to the west and north, maybe somewhere up by Red Deer.