Monday, July 10, 2006

Weather Phenom

So we had a supercell hit the city today. Well, maybe not a full blown one, but it was part of a chain of severe thunderstorms that made its way across the province. I believe they would call that a squall line, although I'm no meteorologist so my facts may be a bit sketchy.

However, that is beside the point. The weather today was like something you hear about in Tornado alley. I'm not exaggerating. I went out to witness the birth of this beast, and unlike most thunderstorms here in the city, it was a maelstrom of movement. The clouds were all rotating, like a bunch of drunken sailors trying to dance, and funnel clouds were dropping wherever the rain decided to stop.

And the rain did stop. It would be pouring one moment, and just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, the rain would stop, and it would be dead still. The only sounds breaking the silence was the rhythmic peal of thunder and an odd rumbling-whistling noise, which I can only assume to be the sound of the cyclonic action inside of a very active thunderhead (ie. the sounds of the winds that would, under different circumstances, have given birth to a twister).

All in all, today was rather exciting. I have pictures, but since photos don't capture motion, I'm afraid they all just look like a bunch of dark clouds. I'll put them up tommorrow, but for now, I'm going to bed.

4 comments:

Jennifer Turek said...

The weather seems to be crazy all over the world these days ... looking forward to seeing some photos.

D. said...

fuck man. I got the exact same shit today.

Swear to god.

Trevor said...

I love shit like that. Silent, nothing going on then all of a sudden all hell breaks loose.

We had one wicked lightning strike while i was at work today, just the one which i thought was a bit odd.

Geoff said...

When I was working the warehouse last summer, the satellite dish was struck by lightning. You didn't hear the thunder. There was just a sudden pop, and then it felt like somebody rammed the air from your lungs.

And then you could faintly hear the thunder echoing off buildings accross the street from us.

Fun times.