Tuesday, July 11, 2006

As the Legend goes...

If you see dead man walking, your death will be soon.
The "dead man walking" is actually violent, multiple vortex tornadoes that frequently pass over the American plains each summer. Each vortice has a limited lifespan, and can create it's own funnel, creating the appearance of a tornado that "walks," as old vortices spin out and new ones are created.

Just a bit of trivia.

Otherwise, here are the pics I promised.



You'd have to be blind to miss it. It's right there on the right. It just looks like a lump of cloud in this picture, but it was rotating at about 5, maybe 6 revolutions a minute. I know, I'm a nerd. I counted, but really... what else is one to do when all the computers and TVs are turned off to prevent surge damage? It's too dark to read and too noisy to play music, so...



This was pretty much the eye of the storm. When it suddenly stopped raining, I ran outside and shot pretty much straight up and to the right, and that's what I saw. The whole system seemed to be rotating around this point in the cloud, and I'm pretty sure it's what they call a mesocyclone. Pretty interesting to see all the clouds whirling around this tiny little patch of calm.



This is perhaps the most uninspired picture of the bunch, as it completely loses its meaning without motion. Let me put it this way. See those little tendrils of cloud hanging on the bottom there? They weren't there two seconds before I shot the picture. They seem to materialize out of thin air, swirl around in a circle, and then get drawn further up into the cloud. Updraft. Whatever. Scary shit, because it was deadly quiet out when I shot this picture, and the only thing moving was the wind, the lightning, and the clouds.

And that's all of them. Should a full blown tornado come, I'll be sure to hurl myself into its path to get the best possible pictures for your enjoyment.

4 comments:

Trevor said...

insane man, did a tornado actually touch down? swirling clouds? quick duck and cover.

Geoff said...

Nothing did actually touch down until the storm was well out of the city. There was some Tornado watches and warnings east of here though.

Jennifer Turek said...

You got a few cool shots there ... nice!

E said...

Awesome pics, my friend. Wow.