Thursday, July 13, 2006

Nerding Out

So, this is the first Wednesday I've stayed home in ages. Normally, I drive to the north end of the city to hang out with some friends of mine that I don't otherwise get to see. You might wonder what inspired the change. Well, see, it's a little something called a videogame addiction. I got tired of spending ten bucks in gas to drive to the north, to pay forty bucks for dinner (because most of my friends are poor, don't ask why), and then to spend the night... watching these guys blow their time playing World of Warcraft all night.

Meanwhile, I raid the fuckers' supply of Gamecube games worth reviewing. Okay, not really, but you'd think that if they want me to come and visit them, they'd at least make an effort to acknowledge me as something other than a meal ticket. Oh wait. I forgot. This is the city.

You can expect your friends to see you as nothing more than a free fucking meal ticket.

So I stayed home today. And thus, it has been a productive day. Indeed, I've been pondering about WoW, and how it's allowing people to create parallel lives at the expense of their real ones.

And then I realize that line of thinking is just bosh. You can't expend a real life you don't have in the first place.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Ha. Yeah...

That last line...

Yeah...

D. said...

I play games because they are fun...?

that is all.

Trevor said...

Somepeople play football, why others enjoy gangbanging and some enjoy games.

I dont think its a waste as long as you enjoy doing it.

man that World of War craft is fucking with lots of peoples life. It makes you kind of wonder how many people got divorced because of that game. hahahah

Geoff said...

See, I think games are great too. I give a lot of time to them, but it's time that I'm not supposed to be spending elsewhere.

A theoretical example of losing that moderation would be blowing your friends off for WoW instead of going to see a movie with them. Or in this case, blowing them off after they've fed you.

It just makes me wonder what people's priorities are, is all. I don't believe that an aspiration to sleep and play WoW in a rotating cycle is any aspiration at all. It's probably something more akin to an addiction, and anyone who's heard me rant about my siblings over MSN knows that WoW addiction isn't something lightly taken.

Stephanie said...

I think I've told this story already, but a guy came in to ship four copies of the game to Saudi Arabia to his girlfriend (four copies? I didn't understand, but whatever), and he told me that his roommate quite seriously took a semester off of school to play the game. I believed him. And still believe him. I've been that addicted to AIM though. WHICH IS SICK AND WRONG I REALIZE. But. At least I realize that and have since changed my ways.

Geoff said...

Telling a WoW addict to change their ways often results in... unpleasantries.

It's like catching an early stage alcoholic. It's their time and their life. What do you do when you see the train crash coming, but nobody's listening?

Let it happen. It's about all that can be done.

D. said...

Yeah, see I play WoW when I get home from work to unwind, this is time I'd spend doing nothing else productive, really, so it's not so bad.

If you're constantly ignoring friends/missing work or something, it's a bit much I'd say.

I certainly wouldn't judge anyone or question their aspirations, because to be quite honest people can do what they like.

I'd never pass up a movie with the guys for any game though. That shit will be around when I get back, and I think more people need to realize that.