Sunday, April 09, 2006

Big City Lights

When I drive all alone at night...


I see the streetlights as fairgrounds...


And I tried around a hundred times...


To see the road signs as dayglow...




11:30 at night. Downtown Calgary. Just me, my camera, my tripod, and two camera lenses. And some people I know. It was warm, and the sky was a veiled overcast. You couldn't see the clouds unless you took an exposure longer than 20 seconds. Everything was kind of close and quiet, and the river kind of slid by. I'd be tempted to do it again sometime, on a different part of town. I'd go alone next time. Night shots are great unless you've got some dimwad trying trying to do poorly executed kung fu in front of your camera while it's taking a long exposure.

You might think it's funny, possibly even hysterical... but really.

I think I should go alone whenever I'm out. I just makes more sense that way. No idiots. No delays. No insults.

Just me and the camera.

5 comments:

Trevor said...

Awesome pure beauty. Something about night photography mixed with traffic really touches me. The streaks, the darkness all collides together into something beautiful. Something I don’t see too much of.

You really have an eye for it.

Also next time your out you should try to capture the traffic facing down on 16th ave, by the holiday inn there is a pedway over the road. If done right the streaking of the lights might make one hell of a shot. I tried, but failed miserably it was windy that night and I am semi afraid of heights. So standing up there holding onto nothing but a tripod and camera, over top of cars doing 80km was a bit too much.

Geoff said...

Yeah, I know the walkway of which you speak. It's less than 10 mins from the SAIT campus.

There's also the +15's over the train tracks on 7th Ave that I've been thinking of hitting. Of course, that would mean running the risk of getting mugged, bothered by homeless guys on their latest drunk, or being mistaken for a homeless person by a snooty late-office worker.

There's also an overlook on the Deerfoot extension that I've been meaning to stop at. It's got a view of the entire city from about 30 metres up or so, and at night, it's like looking at a colony of fireflies.

Of course, this is all reliant on whether or not I can get the motivation to get out and go. Sometimes, I just feel like melting into the sofa and staring at the ceiling. Nothing lost. Nothing gained.

E said...

AWESOME. Quite simply awesome.

apples said...

That third one is gorgeous, what kinda building is that?

Geoff said...

I really don't know. My guess it's either an apartment complex, or it's a bunch of micro-offices that rent for a rediculous price. Something like that. :)