Friday, December 02, 2005

Natural Order

I've been pondering the natural order of things. How would nature work, if applied to human culture? If we got rid of all of our taboos and structures, and just lived according to our instincts and our own personal directives, how would mankind work? I can probably say with some certainty that marriage would probably cease to be. I've been seeing increasing evidence that mankinds natural state of union is not a monogamous one.

How would nations work? Well, they wouldn't. There wouldn't be any structure to protect or define rights or laws, so genocide would be a distinct possibility. Rape, pillaging, destruction. It could all be possible. But so would honesty. Ettiquette would be gone, so what would be considered rude? The truth used to be rude.

Then it would just be the truth.

Could you imagine living in this kind of world? I could. It would be like seeing my own extinction in a blaze of nothing. When the unspoken rules of society lift away, I would probably thrive to the point of combustion. Or I would just go crazy after witnessing the sheer madness that would be unleashed without the collars of society to keep it in check.

The more I think about the natural order of things, the more I think that man in its current state is an unnatural thing.

No comments: