Friday, December 16, 2005

Freedom... or some eulogy similar thereto

Wrapped up at the college today. For better or for worse, I'm done for the winter break. Now, everyone gets to look forward to the proverbial twelve days of Christmas. The gluttony. The singing. The systematic transferral of money from the hands of families into the hands of businesses. Family. Fruitcake. Actually, skip the fruitcake.

Come to think of it, I'm being accused of skipping the family too. See, I'm working this Christmas holiday.

Now why would anyone in at least half of their right mind do that?

You must be asking yourself. Well, I have three reasons. Reason number one, and probably the most prominant. I don't have half of a right mind. Reason number two, I can't stand how crotchety my family gets over the holidays. They get all festive, and I get all, well. I get all myself. And they can't stand that. It's too big of a raincloud for their little festive parade. So they get whiny and aggressive and invasive. I just want my peace and quiet. Reason number three, I would like very much to have lots and lots of money so that I'm not a debt-ridden deadbeat like most of my friends. Ooops. Did I just say that out loud? I'm sorry. It's true, a lot of my friends are debt-ridden, but only one or two are deadbeats. You know who you are. The rest of you can go. Yes, even you.

So then, I bet somebody out there is thinking what a scrooge. Doesn't want to spend time with family. Doesn't enjoy the festive spirit. Doesn't even like fruitcake. Aye... we're going to lynch him with candycanes.

Well, to be perfectly blunt, Christmas for me this year is like any other day of the year. The extended family isn't coming out, the synthetic tree was set up late, and of course, I wasn't here when ornaments were put up. So, come Christmas morning, I'll follow my usual routine. Wake up, try not to intrude on anyone's 10' security bubble, and try to find a vacant area in the house where I can have some "me" time.

So far, it's been a pursuit in vain.
I should have put a new house on my Christmas list.
or maybe... "Privacy. Learn to knock, numbnuts."

Anybody else working over the Christmas break?

1 comment:

E said...

Come to DC for a genuine Jewish Christmas! A movie at 10am followed by Chinese food for lunch, and home before the gentiles leave their houses for the night movies.

It's actually totally fun to have the entire town to yourself between 9am and 3pm.

Open invitation!