Friday, November 25, 2005

Snap

So I was unwinding, settling down to play some guitar before I went to bed last night. It had been particularly warm the last few days, so my guitar was slightly out of tune, so I was correcting them. Nearing completion, I tweaked the last string ever so slightly, first up, then down, and *ktspoooin*.

The delicate metal string snapped just below the head of the guitar and whipped across my fingers like a slave-driver's flay. Two of my fingers were cut and bleeding, but it was the psychological ramifications that hurt more.

My prized guitar, infalliable through thick and thin for the last few months, had failed. Perhaps I had tuned it too much? Perhaps I should have gotten the setup done shortly after I had bought it? What do I do now? I can't play a guitar with just five strings, can I? Can I buy a pack of Electric Guitar strings and just graft a new string on with my other five? Or must the entire family be sacrificed to make room for a new batch of harmony?

My guitar is lying crippled, back on its cradle. The tiny sixth string is lying in two pieces beside my home computer.

My piano satiated my demand to create music, but I'm worried now. In this elitist society, appearing amateurish with my instrument of choice could spell disaster.

Advice?

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm no expert, but you should be able to replace just the broken string.

D. said...

I would replace them all and use the others to strangle hookers/hobos in dark alleys...but hey, that's just me.

Stephanie said...

Why you sick, resourceful fuck.

Geoff said...

Piano wires, Dan. Piano wires. Guitar strings are too thing to strangle people with.

But thanks for the advice everyone. I'm gonna pick up some new strings near the end of the week.

Long and McQuade (God bless them) are selling stuff at Christmas prices. Maybe I'll see if they have some strings on the cheap. If not, I can always get my setup done.

Trevor said...

Hahah, bled????? I usually break mine from slamming on it to hard.

If you’re really good at tuning replace them all but if you suck at that, like me just replace the one. Then you can tune it to match the other strings. I guess you could do that for all the strings if you’re willing to invest some time. In reality you pretty much waste the rest of the pack because “the strings come in contact with the air and start to oxide(rust)”… or so the package for my ddadario strings says. Plus 9$ (a pack) is pretty pricey for just one string.

Moral of the story get a guitar tuner and change the whole set.

Trevor said...

ps. hahahahahah jesus D, i like this guy.

Geoff said...

Bluuuuuuue Steeeeeeeel