Sunday, November 06, 2005

Like I wasn't even gone

I've returned home. Yep, back in the big city and ready to start attending classes again. I've practi-cummed all that I need to for this semester, and I'm one step closer to that diploma. However, contrary to my hopes, I still have not attained the bliss of wireless internet. Something funny is afoot in my laptop and my routers, as their behaviour can only be called chaotic and unexpected.

Well, my laptop is falling apart, from a software perspective. I'm taking it in to be re-imaged tommorrow, which means good-bye all info. I've backed a lot of it up onto my home computers, but I still think it's a terrible pain in the ass, and this could have all been prevented if such a series of unfortunate bungles had been avoided. For starters, Microsoft should never EVER make a shitty unstable piece of software into an integral part of their operating system. For example, Internet Explorer. IE should never have been made the integral network tool for Microsoft Windows. The fact that it is, meant that when it got corrupted, I lost all my network modification abilities, my abilities to add new network locations, and eventually, my ability to modify net content.

I work almost exclusively through Firefox now, but seemings as how I can't magically replace the shit with the fox in all its networking roles, I'm screwed.

Indeed, yes I've returned home. To the sound of 100 questions and a million words of nothing.
Less than 10 hours, and I already want to leave again.

4 comments:

Trevor said...

I went through that same stuff last year when i bought my laptop and tried setting it up on wireless.

First off do not i repeat do not use home editionXP!!! get pro for all your computers. It gives you more control over everything, home edition is the dummies version.

Secondly the built in firewall inside xp likes to mess with you disable it.

Other than than i dont remember what i did but i got mine to work. The only thing is mine isnt password protected, but i only use it to transfer files from laptop to my main pc being that i am on dialup, so i just turn it off when its not in use.

If that doesent help, a sledge hammer should do the trick ;)

You think thats hard trying integrating .net technology to run of your IIS server, built into XP. that took me two months to get to work.

end of novel.

Geoff said...

I'd do all that, except this is a SAIT issued laptop. So I have really not much in the way of installation privelages for things like OS's.

We finally got some of this shit working, but I doubt that it will last for long.

apples said...

Just push it down the stairs!

Geoff said...

I would, to join the printer already at the bottom, but sadly, I need this hunk of junk. I'm actually tempted to throw myself down the stairs at this point.