Monday, January 01, 2007

356 Days of 2006

I normally do some kind of cheesy "Tucked into the Annals of History" statement at this time. But seemings as I wasn't left all by my lonesome this year for New Years, I decided to scrap the usual shit.

It felt... well, I almost don't dare say it, but it felt good being with friends this year to ring in the New Year. I'm not talking the friends I have that freeload. These were people I care about, and we all managed to get together for some drinks... hah. Who am I kidding? We got together for a lot of drinks, and we rang in the New Year. Compared to years past, I can't imagine a better omen for what's to come. Good company, followed by unseasonably nice weather for my drive back to Drayton Valley. My trip couldn't have been more different than the white-knuckled experience I had coming down to Calgary.

Looking back though, 2006 was a pretty craptastic year. I graduated from a college program that, by the end, I was questioning my entire reason for entering it. I spent the summer in a futile job hunt when I could've been traveling the world. I broke a few promises, and left a lot of people behind, and made an ass of myself a couple of times. Sometimes for fun. More often not.

I got over a few things too. Finally found some semblance of peace and closure from bullshit that's been chasing me since the summer of 2004. Now that I think about it, I'm surprised it's taken me this long to get my head back on straight, but really, who can judge? Some people are still out there with pate crammed to plexus. I'm just glad I'm not one of them.

I've also met some people that I thought I'd never get the chance to. Not to jinx it or anything, but I'm hoping we all live to 2008, because you all are such swell people. Even if you do smother kittens and then eat them.

Well, anyway. That's all the sap I can manage without bursting an artery. I think the booze is starting to wear off too, so I must be off. Hope you all had a decent New Years celebration, with or sans booze.

My new years resolution this year, for what little it's worth saying it here:
Never be late for work again.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm glad you had a nice New Years celebration. :)

E said...

Happy New Year, big fella!