Monday, April 18, 2005

Religion Confused

According to statistics and my own personal belief, there is absolutely no way I can be past of the Christian majority in North America. In other words, according to my sources, I'm a Buddhist who doesn't practice Buddhism. Not that that's here or there, I was just rather shocked and taken aback, having never been painted with that kind of brush before.

However, if I had to choice over no choice, which religion to take, it would probably be Buddhism. I've always thought of it as sort of a monastic religion, following an ascetic code etc. etc. etc.

Apparently, that's not the case. The belief system and values of Buddhism are deeper than I had thought (woe be to me, shielded in Christian North America).

You can check out what being a Buddhist means here.

Now, I'm not saying that I'm going to sit cross-legged and meditate with the insence glowing. Quite the contrary, I've got assignments out of the ying-yang, so I'm going to virtuously apply myself to those and get them out of the way.

Perhaps the only truth of the matter is that I learn a little from all religions, and Buddhism is one of the only tolerant religions to do the same.

No comments: