Sunday, April 29, 2007

Giving Pause



It's still a little weird, going back through my entries and the years, seeing my name tagged on my entries. It's a little rush every time. But then again, what is a name if just a title? You could call me anything. A sack of shit by any other name is still a sack of shit.

It's been a busy week, and a busy weekend. I've had a lot to do and a lot to think about. I bungled my first professional bungle, one of many to come, I think. I don't like to pat myself on the back, but I think I did the right thing in my response. I don't like to discuss work on here, but it was a life experience that I've grown from this week. We'll just leave it at that.

Depending on how things go, I'm thinking I may retire from journalism for a bit sometime around the new year and see about going back to school. I've been giving it a bit of thought, but I don't feel like making it a long-term goal at this point. It would likely see me going either to the University of Calgary or the U of A. I don't particularly relish the thought of going to either one, but education these days requires you attend their crappy, overpriced institutions for a paper that essentially equates to bragging rights.

And that's about what sums up my opinion of post-secondary in general. I've seen some real grade-A dickwashers come out of a university thinking they're hot shit because they've taken a course that qualifies them to distinguish between conservative and liberal. I really couldn't care, but often the political courses often churn out a secondary symptom of media conspiracy theorists, who frankly need to find something better to do with their time.

Anyway, that's my little embittered rant for the day. It's been a long day, and it's raining and cold, so I'm cranky.

Enjoy the photo.

6 comments:

Tracy said...

I like the photo! Where was it taken? I was thinking we should come visit you in DV one evening....what do you do there for fun? I wish I could go back to school. Of course those damn student loans never granted me one before so I don't see why they would now so I'm SOL but if you can then maybe do a bit of travelling first :)

Stephanie said...

I think you could do well in a university. :)

D. said...

don't do it man!

Trevor said...

Awesome photo, shit i remember the days when this blog was splatterd in cool pics, hint hint nudge nudge. haha

Post Secondary is overrated, fun but overrated. What were you looking at getting into?

I was eyeballing NAITS photography program, but i think im done with School after these two months for a while....

Geoff said...

Don't even bother with the S/NAIT's photography program. You already know pretty much everything they'd have to teach you.

I don't know what I would get into for University. Probably philosophy, maybe psychology. Who knows?

Yeah, I remember when there was always a bunch of pictures up here. But that's when I had nothing but spare time to sit around and feel sorry for myself.

E said...

I like the photo!
Keep on keepin' on, bruthah.