Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Cadmus

I've been having a lot of short, really vivid dreams of late. Don't know why. Maybe I'm finally losing it, and I'm going psychotic. Wouldn't that be fun? Anyway, here's what happened.

"I'm sure everything will be fine in the end," she said.
We were sitting on a beach, except it was devoid of any water, and the sand was pulverized to dust.
"I'm not so sure," I replied, grabbing a handful of sand and absently running it through my fingers.
"Why not?"
I ran another handful of dust between my fingers.
"This is people," I said. Grabbing a clump of the dust.
"This is their lives," I ran it through my fingers.
A slight wind gusted, blowing over the neat piles of the stuff I had made.
"I don't understand," she said, looking at me.
I hate looking people in the eyes when I'm dreaming, because I know what they're thinking.
I ran my hand lightly across her arm, and she watched in horror as it fell to the ground and turned to dust.
"That's all we are," I said. She vainly tried to grasp the remnants of her arm as it blew away in the wind.
"It won't work," I said. "You have to think about it."
She panicked, and in a gust, turned entirely to dust herself and disappeared.

Though I didn't feel moved in my dream, I woke up at that point in a cold sweat. The whole thing happened in the period of a few minutes between my hitting the snooze button and the alarm going off again. The whole thing was disquieting, and my day's been off as a result.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

That's quite a dream....