Monday, September 25, 2006

Anxiety

There's nothing like waking up at 3 in the morning, feeling like your chest is going to implode and your eyes are going to pop.

It's been happening more frequently of late. Today, I decided to do something rather than just lie there suffering. So, as a result, my latest story has more than doubled in size. I really should be finishing the other two that I started a long time ago, but just looking at either one of them makes me feel sick, so I haven't bothered choking back and just getting it done.

Leave it to me to abandon my old labours to start all new ones that will be abandoned in the near future.

I'm also taking a page from D's book.
I'm not sharing any more of my written stuff until it's completed and I'm satisfied with it.

Part of the reason I get so disgusted with my own work is the feelings that I tie in with it. Writing's an emotional undertaking, and I can't help but leave imprints of what I'm feeling as I write fiction.

So then it's only natural that in one of my greatest stories, halfway through the theme changes from one of hope to one of bitterness and betrayal.
Such is life, I guess. It's always easier to go down the hill than up it.

2 comments:

D. said...

Yeah. I have several things almost done or "Done" that I am just not satisfied with. It kind of sucks.

I agree with the emotional tie-ins in writing. I've had themes and things change before my eyes from out of the blue. I doubt they are as drastic as yours sound, though.

Not that it's bad. You just have to let it flow, I guess.

I'd really like to read it, for the record.

Stephanie said...

Me too. I would also like to read it.