Friday, March 16, 2007

Dolmen for the children

It's been a pretty bad week. I've been ill for most of the days, and I haven't been able to get a lot of my work done. I haven't been able to focus on writing, in between bouts of sneezing and trying to breathe. However, I think I made up for my lack of quantity with some small measure of quality. If that counts for anything these days.

Bah. Who am I kidding? Size, amount, and appearance is all that matters. Nobody's got time for much else.*

In any event, a while ago I ranted a bit about bullying. Some editorials are coming out on the topic, but I doubt it will gain any kind of momentum.

Why, you might ask?

Well, because nobody really gives a flying fuck. It doesn't even matter if it's their kids being bullied, it's just too much of a hassle to do anything about it. Word is, even the local police have their hands tied since they can't press charges if the offender has been bad-mouthed, or if the victim attempted to defend his or herself.

The whole topic makes me smoulder with rage. While government is trying to portray our society as ascending beyond the need for spanking or other forms of disciplining, our very own children are threatening to kill each other, each other's parents, siblings, and pets. Why? Because they can. Because they can get away with it. Because kids will be kids, you know?
Because they've been taught that it's okay to hate someone so much that you'd stick a butterknife in their eye. Mommy and daddy will only give you a slap on the wrist, so you better do it now, before you can be charged.

It makes me sick. If a kid ends up murdered in this town because he was bullied or because he was a bully, I don't think I'd be able to cover it. I'd be too furious.
If it ever came to that, it would be all the proof I'd need that nobody cares for anything beyond themselves, that instead of ascending to an understanding and free society, we've devolved into an apathetic (emphasis on the pathetic) and basic culture.

If we have to build a dolmen for a child in this community, I'll be hanging up my hat. Obviously, if nobody's going to listen to the warnings, then I'm out of a job.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

it's sad :(

Trevor said...

i agree with you completley, but outside of society starting to give a shit, nothing really can be done.