Thursday, July 08, 2004

Assault charge to be upgraded

Pellet gun shot blinded teen

The charge against a city teen accused of blinding a friend with a pellet gun shot will likely be upgraded, a prosecutor said yesterday.
Crown Lawyer Robert Bassett said his office is considering filing an new information against the youth who is now charged with assault with a weapon.
Bassett told youth court Judge Gordon Burrell the teen will liekly face the more serious allegation of criminal negligence causing bodily harm when he returns to court next month.
The accused, 17, who can't be named under provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act, was arrested after a city teen was shot in the eye, April 25th.
The Act also prohibits naming the victim who was also a youth at the time of the incident.
The accused, who did not appear in court and was instead represented by a lawyer, also faces four other charges, including assaulting a peace officer.
The accused, who is not in custody, is scheduled to eneter a plea Aug. 4th


Is this the article everyone is talking about?

I won't name any names, to respect the Youth Criminal Justice act, but I think everyone who knows my blinded friend, also knows the shooter.

I hope justice is done, because, believe it or not, my friend is going to be blind out of one eye forever.

1 comment:

Geoff said...

Pardon my horrible lack of a bibliography, but this article is courtesy the July 7th Calgary Sun that was purchased for me.

The article is done by a "-Martin". I think he knows who he is, but I sure don't.