Friday, May 25, 2007

A Close Call

I was a hair and a breath away from accepting a job as editor in Nanton last night. I've since changed my mind, for a few reasons. Despite the fact that I would be working with some of my close friends from school down south, there's too much unfinished stuff up here for me to deal with before I decide to "advance" my career*.

So, I will be staying up here for the remainder of my planned time, as originally planned. It really is kind of a bummer, because I could've had a chance to move south again, but at the same time...

WE STILL NEED TO JAM!

Yeah, there, I said it. That, and there's still a few other things I need to wrap up here in town. I've been told that I should just look out for myself, damn what the other people think, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that I shouldn't burn any bridges at this point and time.

*By career I mean job. I have to resist the urge to laugh at anyone who says what I'm doing is a career.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Well..why isn't it a career? For some there are opportunities for advancement..and you know there are people out there who do it for a really long time...

Do you suppose editing is worse than being one of the journalists? I guess I can see why there'd be more politics involved, which could be a headache.

Geoff said...

It's not a career - for me - because I'm not being paid enough to keep me above the poverty line.

Generally, career jobs think highly enough of their employees to pay them enough that they don't have to subsist off walmart spaghetti for most meals in a week.

It's no fault of the people I work with, but rather responsibility lies with the corporate plan that sees all the money going into the cities while we're left out here to languish at our desks.

"Advancement," is purely subjective as well. Not everyone who works at a paper wants to move to a city daily, just so they can get a better wage.

I tell myself I'm out here for the experience, but it's gotten to the point where the job has little to do with my reasons for staying out here.

Stephanie said...

Yeah. Well, there's nothing wrong with that. :) (Staying for reasons beyond your job.)