Sunday, May 31, 2009

Chapter Infinity

----------

I'm just sitting and watching clouds drift lazily overhead. I hope you don't mind. I understand that I just disappeared one day, without warning or explanation. I hope you can forgive me that. My mind had long since gone, and it was time for my body to follow it.

I've done all I can to teach our boy. Scott is a bright kid, but he is also very much my son. I have given him all the preparation I can for what is to come, but you understand - his life will go down a different path than mine. It is... my place to lie and watch the clouds. It is his place to walk among them.

It is important now that I go where I must, and that he goes where he must. Perhaps one day we will meet, though I have no idea where or when such a meeting will occur.

This madness, it makes no concessions for love. I go where my footsteps are to be. And this is why I must be separate from you, and from my son. Scott is free to love, and free to be loved. And you... you might one day forget the hardships I've put you through and learn to love another.

Understand that as long as I was with you two, you would both also be under this madness' sway. You would move to its rhythms, and you too would become wearied by it's throb and pace. I would become as a clockwork machine to you. A scheduled malfunction and a constant and needless worry. Love would become a tiring duty. I may be insane, but I know such pain cannot and should not be.

I hope you can forgive me my assumptions. All I have done, I have done with the love and fondness that you've engendered in me over the years. Though I pushed you away always, you always came back.

I will not forget that.

Though now I must go.

Much love always,

-Arthur Bentley

----------

No comments: