Saturday, February 28, 2009

Tiny

So.

I seem to have come into the ownership of a new computer. Well. It's a netbook. Real computer aficionados would call this thing a toy, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the fact that I just whipped this thing out on the couch at a stranger's house and now I'm writing this.

I'm still thoroughly amazed with the progression of technology. The amount of horsepower required to run this computer four years ago would have taken up a large portion of a full-size tower computer. And now, this little guy is roughly about the size of a small book. It also stays cool enough that I can sit comfortably with it on my lap and not suffer third degree burns.
Some who are familiar with the latest notebooks know that the "laptop" part of laptops has gone by the wayside as newer technology has invariably become technology that runs hotter, and hotter still.

Anyway. That's all that I really have to report on today. On a similar but unrelated endorsement... errr, I mean tangent, alcohol is an excellent way to dampen and suppress memories when categorizing emotionally disturbing content from a prior career choice.

I hate to advocate any kind of substance abuse, but I figure, if anyone's going to call me on it, I'll just politely remind everyone that you're all part of a coffee consuming culture, and you don't have a goddamn leg to stand on.

3 comments:

D. said...

I have been thinking about getting a netbook, myself.

So I can sit on the couch and just surf THE WEB.

if you don't mind me asking, how much did it run you? what kind is it? (or did you build that sucker yourself?)

Geoff said...

It's a rebranded MSI Wind, that I modded after purchase with a few choice upgrades.

All said, it set me back roughly around $500, though some of the ones out there are a lot cheaper. I think the EeeEEEEeeeeEEEeeeeeeEeEePC runs around $350.

My next purchase is sure to be Sony's Remote Remote. So that I can sit back in my chair and use my television remote without having to get out of my chair to get grab it.

D. said...

I was looking at some Acer ones that were around $400.

I don't really care for the brand, but then I realized it's a netbook and more of a little thing I can just mess around with and not a serious computer, so it actually sounds quite appealing.

I might go check some out at shitbuy or futureshit one of these days.