Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A time of thoughts, though I do still trudge along

So, I've spent the last three days watching Long Way Round, on Dan's advice. I honestly bought it months and months ago, but it's taken me this long to get so bored that I actually unwrapped it and popped it in.

It's perhaps the greatest work of our time, when it comes to sheer ambition and capabilities. I'd love to take a journey like that, but two such things are limiting me in that regard. One, I haven't got anywhere even remotely close to the amount of funds required to organize such an endeavor, let alone partake of one. Two, I haven't the slightest knowledge or capability for riding a motorcycle.

It's leaving me here, staring longingly at my camera. Soon. Some day soon.

Also, in an unrelated tangent, since most of you seem to be listening to the likes of Saxon Shore a lot, I thought I'd go pick it up. Well worth the 18 bucks, I'd say. It's very mellow, but they're not like most of the other American post-rock groups (see, Pelican, Caspian) that quickly dissolves into repeating guitar riffs and overdriven overdrive crunch wah distortion fuzz crisper pedals.

Also, I've been thinking about my future career paths. I've been thinking that I like photography and writing too much to just let them fester on some other path. So I've been thinking about editing, or copy editing, or novel editing, or something like that. Something where I'd only be responsible for cleaning up other people's work (and enjoying the litany of fuck-ups that inevitably occur when writing in the English language).

Anyway. That's a lot of shit to digest, so I'll leave it at that. There will be pictures coming one day soon, I promise. Well, actually, I don't promise anything. But there will be some pictures.

2 comments:

D. said...

Well, I'm glad SOMEBODY watched it, because I agree that it is just incredible in so many ways.

I still say you should get a motorcycle!

I've been thinking about how awesome an adventure like that would be...but really, really expensive.

I think a mini version would be cool, and by mini I just mean an extended sort of road trip on bikes. To wherever.

I am also glad you got some Saxon Shore and I agree it's in a different league than most bands.I still consider their "exquisite death of Saxon Shore" album one of the best post-rock albums.

Pelican still has its place in my heart though, you just need to be in the mood for the sound and the drone of it all.

And now I've posted a reply that is far too long.

Trevor said...

Something like that would be awesome to do especially on bikes. I haven't seen the film(s) but want to eventually.

If you did something like that in north America, i don't think it would be to bad, if you tented it and lived cheap for the duration of the trip.

Saxon shore are incredible, that all i have to say.