Friday, October 03, 2008

Melancholy

I've been hearing about it a lot lately.

I know too many people who've had dreams since they were a kid, and since that childhood, they've been told to set their goals to make their dreams into reality.

It's such a goddamn farce. It sickens me to see this happening. So many people are imagining the way things should be, and then they're forlorn because they're not. They thought it was as easy as going to work for 40 hours a week, and suddenly, everything would come together.

Nothing's ever so simple. I mean, I've walked down the same path. I went to start my career almost two years ago this day. I walked away from that career a year later, never to return. I had thrown away my life savings, my life at home, and eventually, my health, on some crazy gamble that I might be able to create something worthwhile through a sheer exertion of effort.

It wasn't so simple. But still nobody has the heart to tell that to the generations that are coming after us.

Our grandparents left us a world bereft of unity, our parents, one bereft of hope. Now we're stealing from our children a world with any meaning.

I can imagine that in 10 or 20 years time, the largest medical pandemic in North America will be a psychological one. It's not a stretch to say there's a whole generation of young adults right now who've just... given up.

And it's only going to get worse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would have to agree with you. I think we are rather psychologically messed. Myself included.