Monday, May 08, 2006

Mission Implausible

I went to see MI:III with some friends of mine tonight. It was... a minor catastrophe.

The company that joined me was great, but the film... it left me wondering why I wasted $10 and 2 hours of my life. The story was weak, there were a few continuity errors, and the time format (middle, beginning, middle, end) left me bored by the time the last half of the movie rolled around. The character development was... well, Tom Cruise. The rest were mostly forgettable lackeys. Even the main villain was anemic, literally what happens when a sadist pig becomes too powerful.

I couldn't really feel moved by this movie. It wasn't clever like Lucky Number Slevin. It wasn't gripping in its entirety like V for Vendetta. Basically, it felt like the sequel to Mission Impossible 2. And, as anyone knows, that isn't a good thing. My comrades felt the movie was worthy and good, but I must diverge from their opinion and say that almost any other movie in the theatres these days could surpass MI:III in all aspects, other than raw Tom Cruise coverage, for the women in the audience.

I'm off now to try and find something to fill the vacant space that's opened between my ears.

4 comments:

D. said...

I think it is pretty much the first of the "summer blockbusters" that is, pretty mindless, but entertaining enough for what it is.

Migh go see it with the boys tomorrow, I don't except much.

I actually DO like Tom Cruise as an actor, though.

Geoff said...

This one wasn't exactly his most stunning performance, I must say, but if you're not going in with expectations, I think you'll probably enjoy it.

Trevor said...

I find if your going to see a film to be blown away, chances are your going to hate it. Low expectations my friend works every time. Except if its Basic Instinct 2 pure garbage.

I just want to hear that capote say,

“Do you have girlfriend? A wife? I’m going to find her and I am going to hurt her, then I am going to kill you in front of her”

Use that for my voicemail or something.

Stephanie said...

With the exception of Kill Bill (and perhaps another one or two that are escaping me at the moment), all action movies are the same to me. They're tolerable, mindless entertainment. 'Chick Flicks' are about the same to me anymore. I still enjoy the hell out of them, of course. But that's because I end up daydreaming through most of them, and I really enjoy daydreaming.

When it comes out on video I'm sure my family will rent it, and I'm sure we'll all think it was just as 'good' as the previous two. The one they're really excited for is the third XMen. I haven't seen the other two, so I don't know.

Anyway.

Tom Cruise is definitely nice to look at on occasion. He has such mischevious eyes.