Friday, September 17, 2004

Crash Course

Well, its been over a week since my last post.

My apologies for the delay, but I've been a little tangled up over the last few days. I was at my cousin's wedding last weekend, then I was shoved into three days of work in a row. Couple that with full time SAIT classes and a burgeoning homework load, and... you know, 24 hours isn't enough time.

I just thought I would bring up the threat of nuclear proliferation. Bush says its a hoax, much like the Global Warming theory (as now, the fourth Hurricane of the month is now boiling off in the atlantic). It is not a hoax, that much I can tell you. North Korea, threatened by Bush's upgrade of the nuclear arsenal, and his proposed Star Wars plan, has begun its own nuclear program (which could very well be used to reconquer South Korea), Iran has the potential to develop nukes. France is debating whether to upgrade its nuclear arsenal or not, and of course, there is Russia, which seems to be slipping back under the grip of totalitarianism the moreso every second.

Every one wants them, and for what reason? Defense? Last time I checked, deterrence was a great way to blow up the planet. It wasn't deterrence that ended the Cuban Missile Crisis (although, last time I checked, it was part of the reason the whole crisis started in the first place). Nukes are not a defense. They are not a shield against enemies. They are a tactical weapon of massive destructive powers. You, the reader, have no idea the magnitude and power of these weapons, and what their use would spell in the future, if ever they were released en-masse. The extinction of the dinosaurs was a terrific event. The extinction of mankind would be nothing less than a cosmic catastrophe.

Also, on a note, US congress refused to renew a ban on assault weapons in the US. While I do support some gun control, I would prefer that any weapon, whether it be automatic or just a single shot, be in the hands of a competent and empathic individual. Once again, having a gun is not a means of defense. If somebody is stealing your car, I hardly thing blowing their brains out their asses is an acceptable means of defense (it would just likely piss off the thief's buddies, who would come to your house with their own assault weapons and blow your brains out). An engine cut device or even just a simple "club" for the steering wheel is often enough...

Although if you're really paranoid, a locking garage is good, and it doesn't kill people...
unless of course they throw themselves under the door as its closing.

In any event, I must be off now. Classes are calling, Nader's been nixed off the Florida ballot, and the Liberals are lying again.

No comments: