Monday, August 17, 2009

The Long, Cold Summer

This is exactly what it's been. The sun hid, and nothing grew. Storms came and blew everything over and indeed, where has summer gone?



One crack of lightning.



Two cracks of thunder.



And that's too close for me. I'm out.


Two weeks later, in a forgotten corner of the province, a place ravaged by hail and drought is clawing its way back to life.



I walked and walked along this road. Behind me, just empty gravel. Before me, a single, snow-capped mountain. There were no names for it, so I simply called it Lonely Mountain. Hundreds of kilometres away, and nobody for company.



The weather behaved, for a while.

And that's all. It's like an occultation. I'm in the same spot on the Earth every year, when the Earth is in the same place at that point in the year. The only thing that's different is everything else in the universe.

3 comments:

D. said...

Good work.

is it wrong that I wish you would have been struck by lightning?

not because I dislike you, but because it would have been AWESOME as shit.

Geoff said...

Awesome.

Kind of like a crispy chicken.

There was a kid that was struck by lightning not too long ago, I guess he's clinging to life.

The thing about lightning is that it just doesn't burn you. Survivors often complain that they can't remember things properly, or that they aren't able to write.

The kid's still young, so he'll probably heal and grow up to be a healthy adult.

If it'd been me getting struck, I'd probably never be the same.

Not that I'm disagreeing, per se. But I'm just not sure it would've been a positive experience.

Tracy said...

nice pictures. I'm mad that the few good storms we had this summer I was away for. Although I'm only comfortable watching them from a car or building.