Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Post Mass

I guess I'm the last one on board with this post, so I might as well get going on it. New Years will be here before I know it, and then the year'll be over.

Anyway. This year was particularly humbling for me. Not all the members of my family have been on speaking terms with each other this past year. Lots of it is ideological, and one of my aunts in particular has trouble accepting points of view that, from her generation, would seem whorish and inappropriate. Her and I have butted heads in the past, and for years, I've thought she hated me (or at the very least, preferred to keep a proverbial wall up between us).

Well, this year, I got a Christmas gift from her that put me to the floor and left me there. She gave me a National Geographic historic portraiture book, which contains the absolute best of National Geographic's portraits since their founding in 1888. I don't think a lot of people know just how important books like these are to me. I've got instruction texts and manuals for shooting to a certain photographic standard, but all those are kept in a box and haven't seen the light of day since college. Instead, on my bookcase, I've got a collection of collections. Books full of wild and imaginative photography, each thicker than a phone book.

Each one is essentially both a lesson and a goal. Each one is essentially a great photographer from the past and present giving me something to try. Something to challenge. And at times, something to best. And this book was no different. I've lately been getting into portrait photography, and this book has shown just how far I've come, and yet, just how far I have left to go.

That's not to say that I will ever be of National Geographic material. As far as magazines go, they're the best and most respected, and while my photos might seem like quality to the layman, compared to the real deal, they still don't compare. As well, I'm shooting digital, while most of National Geographic's works are still shot on film.

Anyway. I received some new sweaters and jeans as well. I was also given a copy of Red Alert 3 for Christmas, and, pertaining to my earlier rant, everything I've said about EA still stands. This title wasn't so much a continuation of the Red Alert franchise as it was the final nail drilled steadfastly into its coffin. I understand EA's making an expansion for the game, but I really have to ask that, if the game itself isn't even fun to play, what's there to expand on?

This post was supposed to be a relatively happy one, and there I go again. Anyway, moving along. I also got a new wah pedal for my guitar, courtesy of my parents. I don't think my noisemaking attempts have endeared them to my attempts at learning the guitar, but I appreciate their support of it nonetheless. With all this gear, I'm thinking a trip to get the band together might be in order sometime soon. Possibly in the spring or summer. If memory serves, Ryan's getting married this summer, which might be prime time to get together and relax a bit before getting all gussied up.

What do you guys think?

p.s. - Robot Chicken is the pinnacle of skit humour. Unlike Family Guy which tires itself after about 20 minutes, Robot Chicken can play for hours without getting old. Am I right?

2 comments:

Tracy said...

That is so cool about the book your aunt got you....especially cool since it was the last thing you were expecting from her.

D. said...

Indeed. That is cool shit.

Not so cool about Red alert.

I haven't played a command and conquer game since the original, though.

I also keep hearing about Robot Chicken from everybody and have yet to look into it. Perhaps I should.