Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Hollywood, you've crossed me for the last time

So,

I went and saw Wolverine: Origins the other night at the local cheap theatre. I'm glad I didn't see it when it first came out, because I felt ripped off for even having spent five dollars on it.

I've never been a huge fan of Wolverine, but this movie was just... And they tried so hard, but...
I really have no words to describe it. People can point to me and say "It is what it is, enjoy it or don't." And I think in this case, that's a ludicrous statement to be making.

This is (hopefully) the last movie in a franchise that started off so strongly that I'm still amazed that they could kill it this badly and completely. Maybe it's because they stopped letting Solid Snake write the screenplay. Maybe it's because the X-men continuity is a half-slaggered mess of retcons and relapses itself.

Maybe it's because I just hate when directors fall into the trap of just being horrible fan-serving dickweeds, and focus so much on the "epic," that they seem to forget that they're making a movie about characters. Watching it, and a lot of other movies that I've seen lately, you could've replaced every character in it with card-board cutouts, holding hand-written cue cards and it would've had the exact same emotional impact.

It's a cold bloody day in hell indeed, when the most gripping movies I've seen this year have been made by Pixar and Dreamworks.

I mean, these are goddamned computer-generated mimicries of the real world.
Is this what it's come to?

No comments: