Sunday, April 20, 2008

Everything is normal when nothing's the same

It's been snowing non-stop for the last 72 hours. It's April. Such extensions of winter are not to be unexpected, and yet it's all kinds of news. The bitches complain that it should be sunny and warm and green this time of year, when we've had a winter that's been precisely that until recently.

As I stood out before driving in to work this morning, I couldn't help to think, finally... some normalcy in the seasons. I grew up with a lot of winter in my spring, like coffee with too much milk in it. I grew up knowing the biting north wind until the late days of May, and for years, that kind of chill touch has been lacking. The fact that it's back this year doesn't bother me. In fact, it's a welcome start to a region that, of late, has become little more than a semi-arid desertified wasteland.

Some might think this is heresy, but I politely remind them. I've lived here longer than most, and this land swims in my blood. The city you've built upon it doesn't change where you are, and what this place is.

If it's going to snow, it's going to fucking snow. Grab your shovel, grab your dicks, and get to work. Summer is a privelage earned, not a time arrived.

4 comments:

Trevor said...

haha privelage earned. I've lived here (Edmonton) all my life and its just something thats normal, we sometimes get snow right up until the end of may.

Props to living in the north. WORD!

Stephanie said...

I politely pretend I deeply care when speaking with customers at work, because I am expected to chat with them. (When in reality I have less than zero to say, aside from 'how may I help you,' 'you're all set,' and a sincere, 'take care.')

But I'll be honest. As long as the snow doesn't actually accumulate very much (more than 3-4") I really, really don't give a shit, and know that this weather IS spring weather. Especially for mountainous(ish) regions such as this. There are customers who insist it's not normal for this area..people who say they've lived here for thirty years..yet when my family lived here 24 years ago winter and spring were precisely like this. Perhaps we've had a bit more precip than normal, but not by THAT much.

I guess sometimes it makes me a little crabby to look outside and see more snow..but believe me, I'm not dying to see the sun. The sun could explode for all I care.

D. said...

bullshit you asshole. whether I shovel or not summer will still arrive so go fuck yourself!

Seriously though. I like snow, it's nice to look at, and I like the cooler weather because I hate being hot. So I'm cool with it.

My annoyance comes when I drive to work and have to literally PLOW through snow drifts and almost hit the ditch because every other moron refuses to move the fuck over and stay in their goddamn lane.

So really it's anger toward people and not the snow at all.

it's kind of cool. a week ago my yard was all grass and now it's back to looking like January.

E said...

Well said!!!