Sunday, February 03, 2008

Sigil's Landing

I haven't seen the sun in weeks. It's no surprise then that what I'm writing at length about is a world where only half the planet ever sees the sun rise.

I've seen faces this last week that I haven't seen in years, and just recently I had been telling myself that I would never see them again. It is, perhaps, a sign that this world really is starting to shrink, and even while we are glad of it, too soon will I become claustrophobic.

It snowed today. I know, because I just looked outside and noticed that the entire world is covered a blanket of flaky, crunchy, glittering white shit. There's no tire treads on the road, which means tomorrow is going to be hell. The roads were already polished to a mirror sheen, thanks to the wonder of (nonexistent) road maintenance. Adding a layer of snow on top of glacial ice will only make for fun tomorrow when I attempt to negotiate my way to work, amidst dumb fucks driving with only half their windshield brushed off, a café au lait straddled on their lap, and the cell-phone plastered religiously to their one deaf ear.
Nevermind the youth in this neighborhood which seem drawn to commit suicide by wandering around in the middle of icy streets, oblivious to the cars swerving and skidding around them.

Sigil, I call it. One of three. It's a craft that cuts holes in space, makes point A into point B. In my story, you could almost call it a character. If I had one, no doubt going to work would not longer be a problem, as I would only have to spin up the drives, and voila, I'd arrive. Nevermind the fact that each jump would release energy equivalent to several pounds of TNT. The way I see it, this place needs a few good sinkholes to drown our worries in. Or were those watering holes?
I can never tell anymore.

And of all this, I can never tell if it's me going insane, or if it's the people talking to me who are all given to fits of madness. It's contagious like a disease, but likewise, so is the cure. One dose of reason resounds like a clap of thunder, dispelling the rancid plaque of ignorance that, over so long, built up around us.

No comments: