Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Beneficial Dictatorship

The election in Venezuela has ended and Chavez will be staying. That is what the people wanted, and with a 95% poll turnout, the "people have spoken."

It leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, after seeing and reading the reactions recieved in the North American sector of the world. Washington openly supported the Chavez opposition, citing that Chavez was a "dictator". One of my own home newspapers, shame of shames, aired a half-page story about a "radical Chavez supporter" opening fire on a "peaceful protest" of opposition supporters... while giving the actual results of the election little more space than probably the width of your two most middle fingers. Much like we used to smear and slander the old Communist nations, and their supporters. Shameful, and it leaves me bitter and resentful of us, the bastions of democracy.

With our last Canadian election getting "record" turnouts of over 45%, it makes me believe that our elections are little more than a sham. The US elections have never been very big with the entire population. The richest 8% always vote republican, and the middle 20% always vote democrat. The rest are either too impoverished to care, or are simply too disenfranchised to worry about the election. After all, its not the number of votes that count, but rather, where they're from.

Shameful.

I suppose that makes us the most hypocritical continent in the history of mankind. Champions of uexercised democracy, Crusading ever to oust the tyrranical, unless of course, they are in league with us.

We must be the Bastard of Democracy.


On a side note, I would like to thank the Canadian soldiers out in Afghanistan for their hard work, especially my neighborhood PPCLI. Even though I'm not sure you men and women should have been out there in the first place, you're still doing a good job. Come home okay.

1 comment:

Ravuya said...

Our local papers are some of the most shameful tabloid-style reporting I've ever seen. I think I've brought this up many times in this blog.