Monday, October 26, 2009

Contrary

I'm in an awkward position in my life. Given the option, I'd rather just sleep for the next three weeks, but it's not going to save me from anything, except perhaps exhaustion (but too much sleep only breeds more lethargy, or so I've seen).

Management at work has seen fit to see the value in me as a potential addition to management. This would be a great ego boost for me, except taking an assistant manager position (along with mandatory 40-hour work week) would run completely counter to my ambition to go to university, ASAP.

But therein lies the rub. I'm not really making enough money right now to head back to school and leave the necessary nest egg in case something (or anything) happens while I'm attending. Working a management position would see a large pay raise, guaranteed hours, and shiny benefits that I've only been able to enjoy to limited extent as a lowly part-timer.

So there's the fork in the road. Two options, which I will admit, are neither very appealing. I'm not liking the notion that I might spend four years of my life pursuing a degree, which I'm not sure will secure me employment or gainful income in the near future. Or a management position in retail which will saddle me with responsibilities that I'm honestly afraid of.

Nevermind the fact that I've got no plan for moving out in the next five years - a fact which aggrieves me greatly considering that, while my parents did insist that I move back home after Drayton, I'd rather not be a permanent fixture around these parts forever.

Decisions. I've been left to coast, and now opportunity knocks on every door.

5 comments:

melissa said...

When are your classes starting again? Could you take on the managing position for just a while? You'd save some money, feel more secure about your finances and you could even go study in another city where rent is not as ridiculously expensive as in Calgary perhaps.

There will always be a fork in the road coming up... or you can always U-turn and try something else. Change is beneficial, but you have to try to see which option you'll like best :)

Whatever you decide, the important thing is that you will know yourself a little better in the process and most likely to know a little better which way to go when you will hot the next fork on your way :)

melissa said...

hot=hit* ;)

Stephanie said...

Take the job. Seriously.

Tracy said...

I'd go to uni

Tracy said...

only because I wished I had