Monday, November 24, 2008

Dots per Inch

I'm all over the place today, and I can thank my new little electronic rodent for that. Yes, a new mouse. My old one crapped, and halfway through correcting a photo, it decided that the picture would look better with a big white smear through it.

As you can well imagine, when mice misbehave, they are taken out back and shot.
Well, no. I'm not that cruel. They get put downstairs as a spare for anyone that needs one. Even a malfunctioning - but functional - mouse is better than a dead one, so it's into the cupboard.

See that? That's a normal two paragraphs about a normal thing.

Lets talk about the future, shall we? I know I've often written about it as a great gaping maw, an infernal blazing furnace into which we insert our ambitions to be forged into reality. It's not quite that dramatic. Not now anyways.

I feel like I've woken up from kind of a slumber lately. I've been watching things, hearing things, and seeing things, but not really reacting. It all just gets absorbed and stored away. I can't imagine it being a malicious thing, but I guess I just needed an in-brain vacation.

I'm back now.

I guess while I was away from terrestrial thought, two friends of mine decided it would be a good idea to look at getting married. Correct me if I'm wrong, Trev and Trace, but if I didn't congratulate you two because I was out of the loop, I'm sorry, and I'm rectifying that shit here and now. If I didn't congratulate you two because it never actually happened, I'll go talk to a doctor about taking a permanent trip, so you guys don't have to put up with my lunacy.

I guess another friend of mine - who doesn't read this - left his girlfriend of two years. It was a strange and heartbreaking affair, made only stranger that now, two months later, they're back together again. I don't know how I feel about that, but I will say it's not warm fuzzy appreciation. Next couple to get into an unmarried fight in front of me is getting both their clocks cleaned by yours truly.

I guess the world's economy has collapsed. I've been slightly aware that work has been deader than usual, and the price of things has greatly come down. How this is bad for everyone, I'm still trying to process in my brain. From my understanding, a bunch of incredibly rich individuals and corporations have lost a lot of money on stupid gambles, and now they're trying to con and swindle the rest of us into footing the bills.

Well, not us per say, but the government - slash - governments, because I guess it's worldwide.
Somebody should tell that to the big-three automotive manufacturers in the US. Flying private jets to Washington to plead for handouts. Maybe you'd like your scraps on a gold platter too. And while you're eating, maybe you could design a car that's not a miserable piece of shit too. That's just my thought as a *cough* proud owner of a domestic car.

I almost said house car there. Akin to the feral house cat, the house car prowls in unused air ducts, stalking its elusive prey: the domesticated caravan. The house car has been listed as a critical species due to poaching and competition from non-native alley cars which were inadvertently brought to the mainland of North America on trade liners.

Back on topic.
So, economic decline. I'm seeing a lot of opportunity, but I'm guessing a lot of people are going to be out a lot of money as the markets tumble and crumble and mumble.
I have a feeling that we'll all be alright, and those who work hard, will only work harder to ensure they're taken care of. Either that, or now is a very good time to start dreaming. I know it sounds counterproductive, but a lot of forces that would be on your back for rising up have bigger fish to fry right now, so fly. Be free.
Or some other applicable rhetoric. In the words of the vortigaunts, "Be adequate."

Tomorrow is a long day. The plan is thus:

Currently, beside me, there is a large, blank slab of wall. Imposing. Bland. Boring.
After much consideration, and almost 70 8.5x11 prints, I will transform said wall into:
MASSIVE PHOTO COLLAGE.

Most of you will have a place there. The ones of you I've taken pictures of anyway. Those of you that I haven't, I haven't forgotten you. Not yet anyway. Though no guarantees once I'm over sixty.

And I suppose that bring me to my plans in the summer.
There is, in the back of my mind, a road map for a grand tour of our North American continent. I cannot decide whether to go north or south or west at this point, as I've already gone east, and I doubt they'd want to put up with my pasty, beefeating, angliphone ass for another week.
So the question is thus. Do I impose on BEAUTIFUL BRITISH COLUMBIA?
Do I thrust myself on the mighty US of A, HOME OF THE BRAVE AND LAND OF THE mostly FREE?
Or do I head elsewhere entirely?

Your thoughts, as always, are appreciated.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

Thanks for the congrats :) I also find it odd when people break up only to get back together....make up your mind people. The photo wall sounds awesome and I'd love to see it although I doubt we'll be back down before winter hits...and I'm not that comfortable with the idiots out there once the roads get bad.

I vote for BC, but then I'm biased. I hate the Vancouver/BC rain but then that is largely concentrated in the winter and not as annoying in the summer.

D. said...

I say anywhere but BC.

E said...

USA! USA! ;)

Stephanie said...

I say...avoid southern CA, unless you're just in the mood for a bad taste in your mouth and film over your skin.

The PAC NW is always a good idea in the late spring for some beautiful scenery.

I'm thinking you might appreciate the WA and OR coast. The Oregon coast is almost ugly, yet still beautiful in its own way.

I'd appreciate my neck of the woods to be saved for a trip for all of you, if you don't mind. We'll help Trevor associate some good with northern Idaho once again.

Colorado, you should definitely, definitely see Colorado.

Spend some time on the western side of the Rockies (think the skiing communities, though they're rather dead in the late spring and summer), then venture to Denver and Boulder. Denver..is just like any other city, but Boulder is kind of special. At least for a day or two.

Montana is kind of dumb, though Big Sky in June is insanely beautiful.

There's always Yellowstone in MT and WY.

I've never been to Utah, but I'm sure there are some areas worth seeing. Same for Nevada.

Arizona, steer clear in the summer unless you're keen on frying yourself to a crisp, haha. But you already know what their weather is like, I'm sure.

You've been to Texas, right?

If you want a hub of where many Box Stores sort of began, Ohio would be a stop.

I say visit New England and tell me if it's as quaint as my imagination is convinced it is!

People say Florida is overrun with elderly retired folk.


Really you should go wherever your intuition guides you. (Oh, I'm a hippie, look at me go.)


So when are you planning this, exactly?


PS ha, the word is nongun

Anonymous said...

If you come out east again, I am sure that we'll treat you well :) That sounds like a very exciting traveling project, I was thinking of doing Montreal-Costa Rica by car next :)